Four city director positions -- for wards 1, 2, 3 and 4 -- are up for election this year.
The election filing period will begin on May 16 and end at noon on Thursday, May 31.
City directors serve four-year terms in Siloam Springs. Currently Steve Beers holds the Ward 1 position, Brad Burns holds the Ward 2 position, Frank Johnson holds the Ward 3 position and Amy Smith holds the Ward 4 position. Smith announced at the April 3 city board meeting that she does not plan to refile for office.
In order to file for office, candidates must meet the following criteria:
• Be a qualified voter
• Be a resident of Siloam Springs for at least six months
• Be at least 21 years old
• File a petition with the city clerk containing at least 50 signatures of qualified registered voters of the entire city
• Continue to reside in the city for the term he or she was elected
• Complete and file a political practice pledge with the city clerk's office
• Pay a $10 filing fee to the city clerk.
Forms for candidates are available at the Siloam Springs City Clerk's Office in City Hall, located at 400 N. Broadway Street or at the County Clerk's Office in Siloam Springs, located at 707 S. Lincoln Street, Suite C.
If more than one candidate files for each position, the names of all candidates will appear on the ballot as non-partisan. The municipal primary election will be held on Aug. 14 and if no candidate receives a majority of the votes cast, the two candidates with the highest number of votes will be on the ballot for the Nov. 6 general election.
The deadline to register to vote in the primary election is July 16. Early voting will be available from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 7, through Monday, Aug. 13.
General News on 04/11/2018
Print Headline: Four city board positions up for election