50 Years Ago
From the Herald and Democrat in 1968
Councilman Preston Bynum offered a proposal to fix the Community Building and talked at length about the deplorable condition of the facility and the need to the citizens of Siloam Springs. He then proposed that the city use the $10,000 insurance money which the city received as a settlement on the fire at the Community Building the previous March, add $5,000 to that amount, making a total of $15,000; raise a like sum of $15,000 among the civic clubs, businessmen, industry and the citizens and hire an architect to draw up plans to repair the Community Building, install air conditioning and make the building into a cultural center to be enjoyed by all the citizens of Siloam Springs.
Bynum also proposed that the council create a Parking Commission; turn over to the commission the Chandler buildings, with the idea that the Parking Commission would demolish the buildings and make a downtown parking lot, which would help the cultural center and also compliment the Pool of Siloam.
After discussion a motion was made by Bynum that the City Attorney be instructed to prepare two ordinances creating a Parking Commission and a Civic Center Commission, with the idea of commencing work on the Civic Center immediately. The motion carried.
30 Years Ago
From the Herald-Democrat in 1988
Fifteen sites of historical significance in and around Siloam Springs were accepted into the National Register of Historic Places.
• German Builder's House, 315 E. Central, constructed in 1880 by German builders from St. Louis.
• 305 East Ashley, built around 1900. The use of Queen Anne and classical ornamentation made it a significant architectural resource.
• Bratt-Smiley House, University and Broadway, showplace at the turn of the century in Siloam Springs.
• Fred Bartell House,324 E. Twin Springs, constructed circa 1900.
• Thurmond House,407 Britt, an example of four-square homes.
• First National Bank, 109 E. University, a Romanesque Revival specimen.
• Stockton Building,113 N. Broadway, constructed in 1894, originally built as a hardware/grocery/print shop.
• Siloam Springs City Park, probably laid out in 1897 according to a commemorative stone at the location.
• Duckworth-Williams House, 103 S. College, an example of English Tudor Revival architecture.
• Connelly-Harrington House, 115 E. University, originally built as the home of a prominent banker.
• Quell House, 222 S. Wright, an example of post World War I bungalows.
• Maxwell-Sweet House, 114 S. College, built in 1921 for a prominent banker.
• Siloam Springs Train Station, East Jefferson, a good example of Craftsman/Mission architectural style.
• Gypsy Camp Historic District, just off Arkansas Highway 59 south of Siloam Springs, established in 1921 for girls.
• Illinois River Bridge, six miles east of Siloam Springs, an excellent example of solid filled concrete arch bridge which was widely constructed throughout the 20th century in Arkansas.
10 Years Ago
From the Herald-Leader in 2008
One team, one dream.
The Siloam Springs Panthers became the second team in Benton County history and the first in the school's 100-year history to win a basketball championship.
The Panthers (22-8) joined the Rogers Mountaineers as the only other team from Benton County to win a boys' basketball championship.
Siloam Springs High School became the sixth school in Conference 5A West to win a boys' basketball state championship.
Alma cut down the nets in 2005, making them the last conference school to win a state championship.Community on 03/14/2018
Print Headline: 30 Years Ago: National Register accepts 15 Siloam sites